Downtown Excelsior Partnership (DEP) was formed in 2006 by local businesses, individuals and downtown building owners to create a vibrant downtown Excelsior Springs. With hard work, planning and many volunteers DEP has grown into an organization providing a grassroots effort to revitalize our downtown. Together we have worked hard to shape the future of Excelsior Springs and develop our downtown as a dynamic place to live, work, shop, dine and stay.
DEP supports the revitalization framework of the National Trust Main Street Program. The program operates using four committees, providing the keys to successfully preserving and revitalizing a historic downtown. These four committees provide that framework:
• Organization – provides guidance and direction on fundraising, volunteers and operations.
• Design – Enhances the visual appearance of downtown through the arts, building rehabilitation, landscaping and streetscaping.
• Promotion – Markets downtown via events and advertising to attract customers, visitors, residents, businesses and potential investors.
• Economic Restructuring – Analyzes and plans for appropriate mixed-use development as a way of creating new opportunities and strengthening the economic base of downtown.
DEP redevelopment district outlined at right.
• Continue Downtown Beautification by adding ceramic planters and hosting a clean up day.
• Continue the Facade Grant Program to assist Property Owners with building updates.
• Complete the Historic Plaque Program.
• Continue recruiting new businesses to Downtown Excelsior Springs.
• Work with Downtown property owners using multiple incentive programs for building improvements.
• Complete the Brooke Baxter Pocket Park.
• Continue hosting monthly events to drive traffic and sales to the businesses of Downtown.
• Complete requests for proposals to add additional murals to the streetscape of Downtown Excelsior Springs.
• Spend nearly $20,000 marketing Downtown Excelsior Springs.
• Successfully hosted the Visit Excelsior tourism website that achieved over 165,000 visitors and over 2 million hits.
• Successfully hosted 28 days of Downtown Events and responsible for bringing 13,000 people to the streets of Downtown Excelsior Springs.
• Completed an updated Retail Market Analysis to determine potential new businesses for Downtown Excelsior Springs.
• Spent over $16,500 marketing the Downtown district and Visit Excelsior campaign.
• Completed the final phase of the banner initiative adding banners to the side streets of Downtown Excelsior Springs.
• Secured a Missouri Tourism Grant to transition the Visit Excelsior tourism website into a mobile-friendly platform.
• Secured a Missouri Art Council Grant to add arts and entertainment to Downtown events.
• Secured a Missouri Humanities Council Grant to complete the Historic Plaque Program in Downtown Excelsior Springs.<br><br>
• Responsible for assisting property owners on building improvements by awarding nearly $4,000 in Facade Grants.